Wednesday, July 24, 2019

good for body and soul

How good it feels to get outside. We are experiencing rare cooler July weather for Texas and this morning I took full advantage of the beautiful breeze, dry air, and cooler temperature. It really does feed my soul.

Early this morning I turned on the TV... News... and immediately began watching some political testimony going on. I found myself annoyed as I listened to the arrogant grandstanding and decided shutting it off was my best choice. Going out into the yard... gardening.... was my next decision and I spent the following three hours working outside.

I usually work in the back because it's such a private space and very tranquil, but today I spent lots of time in the back AND the front. Pruning, weeding, cutting off dead debris, removing a rose bush, planting a different plant in its place that needed more room, breaking up the soil, watering, fertilizing, rearranging. I've learned not to be afraid of cutting back bushes and flowers since they bloom even more abundantly and grow more fervently afterwards. So that's what I did.





I love the back yard because it's alive with life. Birds are feasting on the seed and splashing in the bird bath. Hummingbirds come and go.









New to my experience this year has been the numerous sunflowers I planted in the spring. They've grown so high and pretty... but now are looking less than attractive. As much as I might want to cut them down, I just can't. Not just yet. The finches love to sit in their branches and peck at the leaves. I learned that they feed on the plant material and especially enjoy sunflower leaves. They peck holes in the large leaves making them look like ugly doilies... but it's their food and I hate to take it away from them. They are such pretty birds. A friend told me, "As gardeners we need to balance the needs of the wildlife around us, with our need for visual perfection." I agree.






I feel especially satisfied that I was able to get outside and work hard today. Not only did my yard benefit, but my body and soul did as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment