Saturday, August 1, 2020

be true to who you are



I've been thinking about this lately. Thinking about how much of myself I choose not to share because I think maybe it won't be embraced or accepted by someone else. We all do it. Many of us want to be accepted and feel as though we are on the same page as others right? .. but I think about all the times I choose to remain quiet and don't want to be disagreeable .... and even though that's okay...  I mean, who wants to be around someone always challenging your opinion or disagreeing? ... but I think for the most part we need to be our true selves, expressing what matters to us... and stating who we are
... but in a gentle humble way. Without the edge of superiority or putting someone else down.  Knowing why we believe what we do is super important too... and takes work... soul-searching and often time-consuming intelligent work.... often challenging ourselves.

Recently I was receiving messages from someone who continued to send videos and articles that I did not agree with. In fact they were offensive to me.  They were her beliefs, not mine. So I said so. Why? Because I did not want that person to think that was my opinion or belief. And if they cannot accept what I believe they are not really a friend.... because they do not know the REAL me.  I want people to know and like the real me... Not the me they think I am.

Maybe this comes with age. I think I'm mostly likable and still want to be liked. If we aren't no one will listen to us anyway.... but in some ways I don't care if I'm not liked if it's not for who I really am. I still try to find common ground, common opinions and topics that bring us together... peaceful interactions... and I always will, but sometimes..... most times... we need to speak our truth... and be true to ourselves... the core of who we are.

We have a lot to give when we do.


No comments:

Post a Comment