Wednesday, August 19, 2015

a few thoughts

There is so much to learn. So much to think about. So much to talk about. So much to do. How can anyone ever be bored? I never understood that.

People I care about are going through some deep challenges. Some marriages are breaking down. Relationships ending. Friendships struggling. Grieving people are experiencing loss. A child stuck in an addictive lifestyle. I don't need to name all the ways people are hurting.

Time doesn't diminish the missing of our loved ones. When I stop and think of Edd or my mom, I can easily be reduced to tears within a few seconds. I miss them every day. I think of them every day... but life softens the rough edges of grief a little bit so we can at least function and have other experiences in life and even have joy again. The emotional feelings are softened that once struck us like physical blows. Truly there were days I didn't know if my body could hold up to the pain I felt.

There are a lot of people we meet each day who are the "walking wounded". If we could see inside deep into the hearts of some of those we come into contact with we might have more empathy.

If loss and grief, struggle and pain doesn't make you a more compassionate human being then I think the experience was mostly wasted. Sometimes that is the only good thing that can come out of our pain.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the saying, "Be kind to everyone you meet, you never know what someone is going through". We have joy and sadness in our life. I concentrate on the joy and pray the sadness will take a turn towards joy.
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. We can let our sorrows and trials embitter us, or we can let them soften and refine us. I choose to try to soften and refine. I thank you for your kind words about my dad - I know you understand perfectly. It's funny how I'll be just fine talking about him one minute, and suddenly a random memory can reduce me to tears. But he lived a good, full life, and he is away from his pain and suffering. He was just concerned about my mom, and so I do my best to make sure she is making her way back to "normal." Luckily, she has so many wonderful friends who have gone through the death of a spouse, and they are surrounding her with love and compassion. Makes my job a little easier. I love how there are so many wonderful people in this world!

    ReplyDelete