Monday, November 29, 2010

The pursuit of joy

My husband spoke these words to me today. The pursuit of joy. He told me over dinner how he liked my pursuit of joy. Actually he said it after he asked me how my day was. I replied (rather slowly) that it was "okay". Usually I'll say, "I had a good day!" Today I just said it was okay. Pretty simple really but he sensed the difference in my countenance. It mattered to him. He is strengthened by me. By my joy. He relies on it. Truth be told I felt sadness today. Loss. I accomplished many chores. I got a lot done, but felt heaviness in my heart ... and it showed.

That simple exchange of words between us reminded me how much we can influence and impact one another by our attitudes and outlook. I'm reminded of the responsibility (I believe) that I have to bring my best to my relationships. I know we can't possibly be bubbling over all the time with happiness. We need to be honest in sharing how we feel and be able to express our sadness and struggles too. Especially with those we love. Life is hard and grief inevitably comes knocking ... but making a point to pursue joy is a lofty and honorable goal. Joy usually comes easily to me, but when it doesn't I can still pursue it. I know it makes a difference in my life and definitely in the lives of those I come into contact with. Especially my husband's.

Things that bring joy...
Smiles
A heart to heart conversation
A loving embrace
Sometimes a good cry
Random acts of kindness
Puppies... and my own sweet old tail-waggin' dog
Candles
Warm fireplace
Bubble baths (my jacuzzi!)
A back rub
A good book
Morning cup of coffee
Candlelight dinners
Making ordinary things into celebrations
Nature
Prayer
Snuggling
Clean sheets
Good music
Loving words
Encouragement
Gentle touches

“One joy shatters a hundred griefs”

“Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world. We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy.”

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy reading what you have to say Mom! I'm stealing this last quote for Facebook and Twitter... lol!

    ReplyDelete