Tuesday, October 4, 2016

figuring it out

I may have just stumbled onto something pretty significant. After months, actually almost two years now, of wondering just what I "have" as far as my health goes, I think I may have figured it out.

Seems like arthritis, but sometimes not. Pain in my thumbs, top joints of my fingers, wrist pain that came on very suddenly and has stuck around. Moved to both wrists. And the tops of my feet and sometimes toes... and elbows. Both sides.

My doctor did some tests and x-rays and was able to eliminate scary stuff, like bone tumors ... and even Rheumatoid Arthritis. No gout. Good lab work.

So I figured it was arthritis. It's somewhat better than it used to be. The pain has died down some. But sometimes there are flare ups.

But now I found something called Inflammatory Erosive Osteoarthritis and that seems to describe it perfectly. It tends to mimic Rheumatoid Arthritis somewhat but isn't serious like RA. The symptoms are similar but the inflammation gradually dies down although the damage to the joint, if there is any, will remain. But the prognosis is excellent and doesn't require scary medicines other than simple pain relievers.

It generally hits middle aged, menopausal or post menopausal women. Bingo.

Lots more to it but I have also been able to make a correlation between my diet and flare ups of painful symptoms. Losing weight has helped because when I am in weight-loss mode I am eating less processed foods that are generally high in sugar and saturated fats. Those types of foods promote inflammation in the body.  When I eat fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts, fish and lean meats in moderation, I not only lose weight, but my body does not produce the inflammation that causes pain in my joints.

Simple. Yes. But it's been a lengthy process for me to figure that out. I'm pretty confident that I'm figuring out what's going on in my body... and I'm so thankful because the "cure" is good for me. A healthy diet and moderate exercise every day. Nothing strenuous. Just keep moving without over taxing my joints.... My elliptical machine, walking, riding my bike, yoga....

I feel so much better when I do what is good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment